Monday, April 23, 2007

Missing apects of yourself

Blue Metropolis festival logo, Montreal, April 25-29

In the past few days, I noticed that I was getting a bit melancholic when I thought of my student life in Montreal, at UQAM. I miss all things literary; my teachers, especially Louise Dupré who is my "directrice de mémoire", but also all these women writers who attended the courses with me. I miss the university "milieu", I miss just "being there", that feeling of belonging, the sheer pleasure of a group of women discussing the aspects of creation. I feel very lonely here in Ottawa as a French writer-ess, and I really miss my girls! I have postponed my mémoire writing for close to three years now, doing very little and procrastinating more & more as time goes by, and I should, if everything goes well, deposit everything by the end of December of this year.


(AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!! BRIDGES! BUT DECEMBER IS SO CLOSE!!! YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT!!!)


I know. Chances are I will blow the deadline. I have been working as a translator around 26 hours a week for a year now, in the hopes of having more time to work on my mémoire....but you know what; it's just not happening. I have many excuses, of course, but when I say them out loud whilst standing in front of a mirror, they just don't cut it. I know that I have been putting it aside wilfully because, well, I'm a bit lazy (Single-mother/translator/house owner, you know, you tend to be on your ass a lot) and to be honest, this distance between me and my work grows more distant every day, and it's very draining to get back into that mood again, especially whilst being so far away from university, colleagues, and incentives to keep working. No, instead, I have been writing, of course, how can I ever stop writing, but not what I should have been. I have to get back into it, and fast. Time is running out!


I need to be fed literary things; conversations, lectures, discussions...To be honest, I think I desperately need a mentor, somebody to kick Bridges' arse a little. Somebody to challenge me, to check up on me.


It's close to impossible being so far from my alma mater... This week, the Blue Metropolis festival is on in Montreal; it's my favourite lit event; activities go on in French and in English, and it suits me to a tee. I wish I were over there as we speak...

2 people had something to say:

Blue said...

Come on, Bridges, fais une femme de toi, travaille et mets-les sur le cul!

Bridges said...

:)

Merci de tes encouragements! Je crois que je vais faire ça!