Monday, January 22, 2007

Translation humour

A file to translate was sent to me today, with the ASAP mention on it, just a very little file, one of those less than 100 words that I can do in basically no time at all. It did, however, stimulate my (graphic) imagination skills as well as my litterary skills. As a translator, you always have to understand what the text is all about, and when you do marketing, you have to get the grasp of what the product actually is and what it does so you can "capture the essence" better and make it easily decipherable to the readers. This particular product gave me a hard time (pardon the pun) figuring it out. It's a...well...marketing text for a "pharmaceutical" product. See for yourself :

"XXXXX’s lubrication enhances personal intimacy and sexual pleasure, as well as relieves dryness. (OK, we know what they're talking about here....) XXXXX uses a unique pumping system for no-mess, no-spill lubrication in any direction" er....what??? are we still talking about lubrication or did they mix up their bodily fluids here? Lubrication in any direction? Meaning....No spills of lubricant in the area WHERE you put the lubricant, or around the unique pumping system?...or....a unique pumping system for a no-spill LUBRICANT USAGE CONSEQUENCE in any direction? Huh? Now that's an infomercial I want to see. I thought about making it funny for the French readers, but in the end, my professional conscience won. It's a shame though, don't you think? :)

5 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Me is not so good with words. Me think me need visuals :p

Bridges said...

AH! Don't we all. #0, you're not some kind of perverted blogger now, are you? :)

Anonymous said...

Now theres's no good answer to that question is there. I say no and you'll go "well that's what a perv would say" and if I say yes ... well that would not be very true.

So I'll just let you decide that for yourself. Feel free to drop by my blog and see if I fit any profile. I'd be happy to hear an honest assessment.

Blue said...

Was it really a MKTG file???
Your files are so much sexier than mine! :D

Bridges said...

Blue : Of course not...the days would go by so fast now, wouldn't they??? No; Bridges sometimes moonlights for other companies abroad...But don't tell anyone! :)