Sunday, January 21, 2007

Adventures in cyberdating

Is it just me? Or is cyberdating already passé?

Allright, allright. Everybody who has tried their keyboards and cyber-wit @ cyberdating raise their mouses. Come on....be honest! I promise I will!

I tried dating websites a long time ago, right after I got separated from my husband. It kind of dit what I expected it to do at the time, that is, meeting men for the sole purpose of having a go at some girl-boy action. Post your picture, a few suave witty words and some elusive reference to sex and you're pretty much done. Wait for men to send you their cyber-winks, you cyber-giggle or press the delete button, and if you like what you "see", then you meet up somewhere, and well, let nature take its course, be it pleasurable or just plain disapointing. But what follows after that first encounter is where the gender difference hits you. Women expect to be called back, and men, well, they expect women to disapear back into cyberspace. Don't get me wrong, now. Dating, be it by meeting through the Internet or in the flesh is always a complicated and confusing mess. But past casual sex expectations, cyberdating always seemed a little "empty" to me (OK sue me : a woman recently separated who finds herself single after being with the same man since....puberty tends to get a little excited in the knickers department.) In other words, well, there wasn't much "meat on the bone" there. I never encoutered somebody worth calling back. And when I thought I did, he turned out to be a major creep. For some reason, I think men and women use the "tool" for different reasons. Or maybe we're all just kidding ourselves. We just want to be loved and adored, right here, right now, the way we want it, by someone gorgeous and intelligent and sexually open (for men) and emotionnaly mature (for women) and we're all in denial about it.

Of course, I can only speak from a woman's point of view. I'm giving this cyber-dating thing another go, tongue in cheek, of course. I'll tell you all about it. Wish me luck. I'll try not to be too sarcastic about it. But it WILL be difficult. :)

4 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Goody Lucky again :)

Bridges said...

Thanks, but I honestly think that luck has nothing to do with it, after reflecting upon this...A masochistic propension to emotionaly torture one's self would be more appropriate. :)

Blue said...

I think the vast majority of men are around the cybercorner for the sole purpose of having sex without having to pay you a drink... So cheap!

Good luck anyway.

Bridges said...

I'll give you that, Blue...it is quite the bottom of the fish tank really...I'm kind of looking for the unspoiled lost souls, like me....I'm giving another day or two and then...sayonara...Sociological experiment nonetheless. Ottawa is so "coincé du cul" when it comes to meeting members of the opposite sex! I'll try anything once...I did however start to exchange courteous messages with a gentleman...we'll see...I'll keep you posted... :)