Thursday, May 31, 2007

ecoBridges

After my silent fit at the office a few weeks ago, I was offered to translate for another department AND a new office with a great view on the Zeller's & Homesense parking lot (Hey, don't make fun, I just spent close to two years working in a dark & gloomy cave) So now, I'm translating mostly Environment & agriculture related documents, which makes me very happy because I get to keep up to date with very useful eco-tips from our very environmentally-savy government ( "Wash your clothes using cold water. Many detergents clean just as well in cold water!" or "When buying a new appliance, choose an energy-efficient one.!") Hey Mr. Harper! Here's an eco-tip for ya : When extracting oil sands in Alberta, don't fill the surrounding lakes and rivers with contaminated water! Oh, and when the international community signs a treaty to protect the environment, well, sign it, and oh, respect it! By the way, did you know Canada's GHG emissions are 32% OVER Kyoto's target? As per www.ec.gc.ca :

Latest Greenhouse Gas Data Show that Canada is Still Over 32% Above Kyoto Target

OTTAWA, May 25, 2007 –As part of its international obligations, Environment Canada submitted today its annual national greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory for 2005 to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
“This information tells us that greenhouse gases are still over 32% higher than our Kyoto target,” stated the Honourable John Baird, Minister of the Environment. “This is why this government has put forward a concrete action plan to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollutants.”


Canada is way behind in its environmental actions...Just like me...Today I was assigned a 4000 words document (usually, a good and productive translator pulls about 2000 words a day, on a good day) due on Monday, and since I don't want to work this weekend since I'm taking the kids to Montreal to see their dad (and yes, I will be driving my car and not an energy-efficient appliance) and planning to get down and boogie on Crescent street either Friday or Saturday, then...I have to get a'goin' pretty soon. And since the Canadian Environment Week is from June 3-9, suddenly the office is swamped with eco-tips, eco-actions and eco-whatnots to translate. What have you done for the environment lately? I for one decided to boycott the little plastic bags from stores & markets. I carry my own reusable yet very trendy black cotton bags made from recycled plastic bottles.

(For groceries, shoes, kids crafts, gardening supplies or any other crap that a single mom carries around)

You can call me ecoBridges,love.

0 people had something to say: