Monday, June 11, 2007

Two girls, part II


We come up the stairs to "Les Beaux jeudis", where a friend of Catherine's is playing tonight. It's a nice restaurant, not too "chi-chi", the food is good and the jazz is usually top notch. As we walk in, I notice a very handsome man sitting at the bar; he smiles, nods, and I do the same. The maitre D' takes us immediatlely to our table, next to the jazz quartet. The pianist recognizes Catherine, and ackowledges her presence. Our waiter brings us our menus and orders our drinks straight away, just as we are settling down.


-The man at the bar is staring at you.

-I know....

-Are you going to talk to him?

-I'm not getting up; if he wants to talk and he's a gentleman, then, he'll come and say hi. I smiled at him when we got in. He knows I wouldn't mind.


Catherine laughs out loud and hi-fives me.


Throughout dinner, the mysterious guy at the bar and I exchange glances. He remains all the way over there, at the bar, and I stay put. Between sets, the pianist comes to sit with us and has a chat with Catherine; something about "the good ol' days" that I'm absolutely no part of. I'm bored, and I wish Mr. mysterious but somehow glued to his bar stool would come and talk to me.


He doesn't. After exchanging looks for about 1 hour, he pays his bill at the bar, looks at me one last time, and waves good bye. What? That's it??? Oh well. Another one bites the dust, I think. Not too long after the guy leaves, our waiter, a very handsome young black man, who saw the whole scene, comes to me and whispers, looking straight into my eyes, "What an idiot. He is a fool to pass up a beautiful lady like yourself", kisses my hand, takes our plates away, and leaves. I didn't see that one coming, I said to Catherine.


-You never see the good ones, I have to do all the work for you!

-I'm more than happy to let you do the scouting, my dear. I'll just stay here and finish my Cosmo, thank you very much.


Catherine smiles, and I can see she is a woman with a plan. I haven't seen my friend so vibrant in a long time, I have to say. It makes me happy to see her so in tune and I'm ready, yet a bit scared (Catherine is known for pulling stunts in public places that could make headlines in the mondane column, but not to worry) to let her lead. Tonight, I feel a lot more comfortable to follow.



0 people had something to say: