Thursday, June 21, 2007

Letter to Munich - Yes, you!


I thought alot about what you said to me in the car before I dropped you off in front of the Hard Rock Café. You know what Bridges - I haven't had so much fun in a long time. I will miss you. I answered back immediately: Neither have I, and I will miss you too. A polite and courteous way to respond to a handsome stranger who shows a genuine and straightforward interest in you and ackowledgment about his feelings - and yes, I could tell you were truthful because of the way you looked at me when you said it - you had been nothing but the night before - AND a man you know will never make love to you again. But the truth hits you when you don't expect it. I will not call, I will not write, I like you, but I'm not like my friend Huey - he falls in love like someone falls off a chair - let's be realistic here B. - this is it, this was it, it was great, I will always remember you, but that's how far this goes. Of course. I feel the same way H. - These could be my words, not yours, in fact I don't remember who cut the other one off first - I agree with you, I'm not even a tad tormented when I say IT'S OK; don't worry about it. I mean - what else are we going to do - exchange emails from Germany, Afghanistan, Cold Lake, insert any country or city where there is a military training base here - to Ottawa, Montreal or New-York? As opposed to you, who takes orders to determine where your next destination will be, I just follow my heart or my budget - whichever is the biggest at the time - and entertain the idea of a crazy made-up romance between the German soldier and the political interpreter? Yes, I'm making this sound romantic, I have to, it's my job, I'm writing a story, do you mind? Who would ever think that a strong, tough military guy who is supposed to be detached from his emotions would be so poignant with honesty and leave such a mark on silly little overly sarcastic me. Trust me - I can destroy my own romantic illusions quicker than the time it takes to say FAIRYTALE - and ridicule any glimpse of sentimentality emanating from my twisted self even before it forms and find a name for it in the psychology dictionnary ( Forget the reference books - I call it creative self-preservation) Perhaps it was the fact that we were both on our way back to somewhere else, or maybe that we had both been previously ravaged by hurtful relationship endings, go figure. Consequences to being truthful are minimal in this case, and yes, why not keep on with this truthful thing, after 5 weeks, I still do think of you, I know that you read me regularly even if you wouldn't admit to it, so I know that in a parallel world, you still think of me too.


To be honest, H...Who needs the one sky/one moon over both our heads nonsense when we have the internet. Here's my answer to your unbridaled romantic ending : When you read me, I can still see your eyes gazing into mine. In fact, I can see them right this second. And yes, my German cow-boy, I so wish you were here to hold me in those strong arms of yours. That was, to me, along with our eyes gazing into each other's soul, the best part of our chance meeting.


I don't love you either :)


Bridges

0 people had something to say: