Wednesday, February 28, 2007

An uneasy slip of the tongue

Today, at Nicastro's, my favorite deli, picking up diner for myself & the children.

Me
-I will take three meatballs, please! Oh, and do you have any rice left?

The Italian lady behind the counter
-Do I what? (with a very strong Italian accent!)

Me
-Is there any rice left?

The Italian lady behind the counter
- ???Er..

Me
(Waiting for an answer to a simple question, looking at the hesitant lady putting my three meatballs in a container)

The Italian lady behind the counter
-oh, no, no....

Another lady behind the counter, budding in
-What did you say?

Me
-RICE! Do you have any rice left that I can buy and take out!

The same lady
-OH!!! RICE! Rice...She thought you said "rats"...

Me
-Oh....kay...Thank God the answer was no....


Note to self : Why would she think of rats while serving the meatballs? And why would she think I would enquire about RATS??? Things that make you go hum....

4 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Oh, jeez! Yuck! You're right -- good thing she said "no!" :)

Bridges said...

Exactly - But I could sense some hesitation there - which is the worrying part ! I love this place so I will ignore this whole event even took place!!!

(Bridges,happily whistling while stepping out the deli...:)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you read / heard abt the rats in a Ney York City area TacoBell recently. :)

Bridges said...

oh, yuck #0....no, I try to stay as far away as I can from any type of rodent-involving stories...I have major freaking out issues when it comes to mice/rats/or anything that looks like one...please don't creep me out!!!!

(Bridges, keeping an eye on that wooden chair, getting ready to jump on it)