Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pick-up artists at work

How did it go Bridges?
Did you meet interesting men?
Was it worth it?
Did you have fun?

First of all, let me say I had alot more fun than I thought I would. I did get to meet some nice gentlemen, (engineers - IT guys - divorced dads ) and not-so-nice ones (a dodgy postman who looked way too eager to lick the stamps) a funny 6'4 Dutch guy who made me think of Austin Power 3's Goldmember - without the rollerskates - and my least personnal favorite, the shy geek who is so sweet but not very pleasing to the eye, to say the least. I was sorry for him and felt compelled to take him out for a make-over session. Nothing against geeks, really. Just not my cup of tea.

Speed-dating is draining! You try to keep up your good side for all the people you meet, and you feel sorry for the last ones, because after a few drinks and many, many " how are you, what do you do" you just want to start answering questions by one of the following :

"well, it was my parole officer's idea to get back on the dating scene..."
"My husband insisted we try this...oh, look, there he is! HI HONEY!!!"
"Why don't I start by telling you about my childhood...It all started when..."

Nah. I didn't even need to invent one, it just invented itself.

At the beginning of an 8 minute meeting with the shy geek, my mobile rang. The call came from home. Of course, I'm a mother, I think of the worst. So I say "I'm sorry, I have to take this call." My 9 year old daughter was on the other end. "Mummy...I miss you...when are you coming back...." After reassuring her that mummy was not going to be very late, I went back to my conversation.

-I'm sorry....it was my daughter....she started doing this to me a while ago...she just wants to check if I'm going to pick up...
-Oh. (long pause) How old is your daughter?
-9. Why?
-Er.....and she wants to know if you're going to pick up?

It takes me a few seconds. Then I burst out laughing.

-She wants to check if I was going to pick up THE PHONE!!!!
-OOOOOHHHH...ok, ok....


Note to the reader : No, I didn't pick up... anything else than a phone call from my dauther :)

2 people had something to say:

Blue said...

Do you fancy any of them, Bridges?

Bridges said...

Nope! No fancy-ing involved here, I'm afraid. And I wasn't the object of anyone's fancy either, apparently...So...POO!!!! :(

Back to the old drawing board, I guess...