Saturday, February 17, 2007

No sex in the city, introduction

Remember last week I went to a speed dating event which turned out to be entertaining, but not quite the way I had expected it to be. Surely you recall me telling you that no, I didn't pick-up, apart from a phone call from my inquisitive daughter. Well, I will be very honest with you today, I'm coming clean. I did, in fact, pick up.

(insert pause for dramatic effect here, then, a smiling Bridges waiting for a reaction from her readers)

I picked up two women!

I did meet two wonderful women who turned out to be absolutely lovely and good fun; two intelligent, funny, beautiful scholarly women who, if I'm lucky, will turn out to become great friends. Let me tell you about it.

Last week, after our speed-dating (to answer your question, no, they didn't pick up either), we exchanged business cards and decided to keep in touch. Jill, who is originally from Australia and decided to stay here in Ottawa after completing her Phd some years ago, invited me up for drinks with her and Jackie the following Friday. Jill & Jackie are best buddies, and they work together at one of Ottawa's Universities. Of course, I accepted, and we met up at Café Paradiso, on Bank street, which is one of my favorite places in Ottawa. Great food, great live jazz, (Julie Michels from Toronto was singing - she is amazing, funny and a true diva - don't miss the chance to see her on stage, you won't be sorry - We all absolutely loved her!) marvelous cocktails and totally camp gay waiters who forget to bring you coffee with your cream with a smile. "I'm soooo sorry sweetheart! It's really busy tonight!!!" It's ok...surely he wouldn't have forgot if I had a penis hiding in my trousers, but not to worry; we're not here to pick-up, this time, we're here for girltalk, some laughs, and of course, lots of wine. And chocolate mousse cake. Or maybe that's just me....What else do girlfriends need to be happy, I ask you?

1 people had something to say:

Blue said...

Good for you, Bridges. :)