Sunday, February 04, 2007

The cyber-return of the prodigual ex-boyfriend

What do you do when, after spending one year crying and trying to get over the love of your life leaving you stranded in a house you both bought together, he calls you up one Monday afternoon to tell you "Nothing compares to you" and "I was never as happy as when I was with you?"

This ex-boyfriend is in England right now. He still owns half of the house we bought, renovated, and lived in together. He left me & my kids in it, on a whim, on a cold March morning last year, in a state of emergency to bugger off, to put it lightly. Of course, I was devastated, dumbstruck, and absolutely crushed. It took me close to a year to get over it. I made the most of it, learning to appreciate Ottawa, even though this city is hard to love. I made friends, contacts, I started off my career as a translator, establishing clients abroad, some in England, some in New-York, all the while working for a governmental Agency, here in Ottawa. I think I have strived through adversity, depression, and most of all, a profound sense of treason.

I got over it
I made it through

Like tons of people learning to cope with heartbreak
I recovered
And learned to armour my heart for this never to happen again


I have no desire to go through that again, as you can imagine. Nobody wants to relive the pain of a broken heart, especially if it's been broken by the same person, twice!

This person, this British guy that my friends and I affectionately called fuckface for a year, given the circumstances, called me up to tell me "Nobody understands me like you do" "everything is so bland without you" and all the things a broken-hearted woman longs to hear after a year of heartache. My guess is he was poking around to see if he still had a place to go....Trouble is, after one year, I've moved on, worked on myself, learned about the things that I don't want to go through again, what I am willing to do to make a relationship work...and came to the conclusion that I did everything I could to make this one work, and it didn't. Nothing I can do about it anymore, since the onus isn't on me anymore, and it hasn't been since Mr. fuckface decided to fuck-off. Period.

He sounded like he was still at the same point then when he left. What a waste of time.

Why is it that I am still troubled to hear him again?

6 people had something to say:

Blue said...

I'm proud of you, woman! Keep standing on your feet. Eventually you will find a man who won't screw it up and play with your feelings.

Bridges said...

Yep. I'm always on the look-out for my future Ex...

( I think I heard this in a movie actually...not too sure which one!!!)

Blue said...

Bridget Jones? :D

Guess what? Je pense que j'ai envie de revenir au Canada et me construire une maison dans un petit village ontarien (pas une banlieue dortoir mais un vrai village avec une histoire, une couple d'églises, de pubs, d'épiceries...) au bord d'une rivière, pas trop loin d'Ottawa.

Je voudrais trouver un vrai village de style anglais chez nous, situé à au plus une heure de route du bureau. C'est-tu possible, tu penses? Le prix à payer sera sans doute de vivre pour l'éternité seule avec mon chat et ma perruche... ;)

Bridges said...

Non! Je pense que c'est dans Jurassic Park!!! (Le personnage de l'acteur qui fait "The fly", là...)

HEIN???? Ah ben! Il y en a, c'est sûr...y'en a un qui est plus "typique" que les autres...je me souviens plus c'est quoi...pas Shawville (quoique assez typique, si on en croit ce que l'on en dit; MK elle-même y habite, de même que AK :)

Une chose est sûre : pour la moitié du prix de ton appart à Paris, tu as toute une maison de campagne PAYÉE, rivière, grands espaces compris, et LA PAIX!!! Une chose qu'on peut dire des Ontariens : sont pas jolis-jolis, ils manquent de classe, mais ils sont pas méchants, et très "good natured" de façon générale. On se sent généralement en sécurité. :) Et puis tu aurais peut-être de la visite! Envoye, on va se faire un ptit BBQ!!! :)

Blue said...

Ouaip, ça pourrait me tenter d'avoir de la place et la paix chez moi. :)
J'ai vu que le plus joli village d'Ontario (historique) s'appelle Merrickville et est situé à moins d'une heure d'Ottawa. Plein d'artisans y habitent... Un terrain là-bas doit coûter cher, par exemple.

Bridges said...

J'ai vérifié, et c'est en plein à lui que je pensais. C'est mignon tout plein! Je vais aller y jeter un coup d'oeil dès qu'il fera moins froid! Les maisons sont en effet plutôt dispendieuses...et rares!